Sample Essay on Winter Sports or What to Try out This Season
Winter sports are extremely popular because they are good for health, mood and overall well-being. What is more, they are fun. To what extent? Check out our sample essay to find that out.
Skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, snowshoeing or winter hiking are among the most favorite winter sports of the majority of people. They burn more calories and better improve metabolism than any other indoor work-out out there because the organism goes to great lengths to keep the body temperature normal. Winter sports also ameliorate the blood circulation and cardiovascular system because of the cold weather. Moreover, during the winter you don’t get enough of vitamin D. But you can compensate it by taking up winter sports and exposing yourself to the sun. Overall, this kind of activities lift up your endurance level and boost the effort exertion.
When you think about exercising in winter, the first thing that comes to your mind is skiing. It has the elements of aerobics – it speeds up the heart and strengthens its muscles enhancing the blood flow. Skiing requires a lot of work from hamstrings, calves, limbs, and thighs because it’s all about moving from one direction to another, switching and turning. It is a great way to spend time in winter, and in the USA there are many destinations perfect for this kind of sport: southwest Denver, southeast Salt Lake City, Lake Tahoe, etc.
Snowboarding is one more activity popular in winter and is practiced together with skiing. It is quite hard to train and master because one needs to possess a good sense of balance. Furthermore, it is important to develop the lower body for successful exercising. But, despite these difficulties, snowboarding boosts the core muscles and the skills of maneuvering. It is an intricate sport with its rituals and rules, but it’s also extremely fun and exciting.
Among other great winter activities, there is also cross-country skiing. It is not the same as simple skiing because it is more about endurance. Unlike short sessions of extreme effort exertion during downhill skiing, the cross-country type requires moving for a long time without breaks. It is very good for the lungs as their capacity is enhanced. It is also a great way for those who engage in running or cycling during warm seasons because cross-country skiing helps to maintain your body fit and in the shape you need it to be. In the USA you can try it in Hayward (Wisconsin), Lake Placid (New York) or Winthrop (Washington).
There are much more other winter sports, but these are the most common ones. People who have never had a go at them should definitely start practicing at least one activity from the list. Snowboarding, downhill and cross-country skiing are particularly good for the health, especially for the cardiovascular system, blood circulation, lungs and the physical shape of the body. In addition, they are very entertaining. So, why not combine the useful with the pleasant?
- 7 Fun Winter Sports that Burn Serious Calories. (2017, December 06). Retrieved January 21, 2018, from https://www.organicauthority.com/7-fun-winter-sports-with-health-boosting-benefits/
- Klein, S. (2015, January 09). 6 Surprising Health Benefits Of Cold Weather. Retrieved January 21, 2018, from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/09/health-benefits-cold-weather_n_2528779.html
- Snow Play: The Health Benefits Of Winter Sports. (2017, February 22). Retrieved January 21, 2018, from http://familyhw.com/2012/12/snow-play-the-health-benefits-of-winter-sports/
- Hudson, S. (2005). Winter sports destinations: dealing with seasonality. Sport Tourism Destinations, 188-204. doi:10.1016/b978-0-7506-5937-6.50021-3
- Allen, T., Sandbakk, Ø, & Lindinger, S. J. (2017). Winter sports special issue. Sports Engineering, 20(4), 243-244. doi:10.1007/s12283-017-0256-8
- Pollard, J. (2012). Winter sports. Carlisle, MA: Applewood Books, of Americas living past.
- Coon, J. (2012, December 1). Off the Beaten Slope: Utah Offers a Plethora of Extreme Winter Sports. Utah Business.